July 2011 Newsletter

July 2011 Newsletter click for pdf copy


July 2011
Dear Friends and Family,
            Well, another year has come and gone, my friends…it is I, Mother of our beloved Lowly Office Aid, making an encore appearance via this newsletter.  As you may have guessed, Joy is far from home on her 3rd mission’s trip to Haiti with the Chi Alpha Fellowship team.  I recall how worried we were (I was!) when she left for her first trip; however, this year I am much more relaxed—I know that she has many good friends with her on the trip, and they all look out for each other.  It also helps to see a few pix of the team’s activities posted on Facebook, and of course, Joy’s brief contact with John to wish him well on Father’s Day while she is away.  I guess I’m getting better at this Empty Nest thing…
            Empty Nesters—that’s what John and I are now.  Strange term…referred to as a “syndrome” apparently named after a bird’s nesting habits.  More specifically, the literature states (that’s my librarian-self speaking) that “Empty Nest Syndrome is a general feeling of loneliness that parents or guardians may feel when one or more of their children leave home; it is more common in women…”  I would say that the part about women is probably true as we tend to be the primary caregivers and nurturers.  Yes, I have found myself wanting to check on the kids or communicating that I miss them much more often than John does (or at least will say he does!).  I do catch him asking “have you heard from the kids?” or telling me plans he’s made with Joy or Jonathan regarding this or that.  All I can know for sure is that we both are enjoying the much quieter and much neater house with the kids out on their own, and we are much more able to focus on our own plans and goals for the future (so the literature says as well!).
            The term that I feel is better suited to our current status in life is: The Sandwich Generation, which is “a generation of people who care for their aging parents while supporting their own children.”  Although we don’t care for our aging mothers full time, nor do we fully support our dear children anymore, we definitely could fit this description!  Whether we are driving Grandma Carrie to her doctor’s and hair appointments while she was without her driver’s license for awhile, or planning a visit with Yiayia and helping to care for her rental home, John and I are active participants in the care of both of our mothers.  Although Joy and Jonathan are working full-time and living on their own, it’s amazing how much help we still give the kids; whether it’s a new computer for the Lowly Office Aid, or help for Jonathan while he gets his new studio apartment up and running…Mom and Dad are right there, ready with support to help our little “birds” as they make their own way out in the big world. J
            I’d say that’s it for now…I’m off to prepare our own nest for an Ellis Family 4th of July celebration coming up soon.  Happy Independence Day, All—and our Best Wishes for a wonderful, fun Summer 2011!
Happy Summer,
Julie A. Ellis  (Mother of the Lowly Office Aid)

No comments:

Post a Comment